Tuesday 30 June 2015

First week done and a "Review"

It is now a week since the radiotherapy started, just completed session 6 so I am now 16.21621621621% cooked. So far, nearly all good to excellent although the KOC does occasionally remind me that it is part of the NHS through random changes of team / machine. The upside is that I am now getting to know most of the radiographers in that part of the building.

The Radiographers are uniformly polite, smiling and professional. The added bonus is that they seem to know what they are doing..............

Receptionists are great too. they have even persuaded the "Dalek" that summons people to their treatment to call me "Phil" instead of "Philip". The latter is only usually used in the real world by my mother to signify (mostly) minor disapproval; at all other times, people call me "Phil".

I have just re-read the post so far; now having doubts that they really are part of the NHS!

This morning was no different from the other 5, but contained an added bonus........a "Macmillan Radiographer Review". Having checked the mugshots at the entrance, the Macmillan Radiographers include the incredible (think about the definition of this one!) WMS, so my assumption was that this might not be the happiest of encounters for either of us. I had already picked out a suitable tune for this bit and, rather than leave it to the end as usual, it seems more sensible to insert it here.


As it turned out, both WMS and her sidekick were inexplicably "not around" : ), so I was asked (note, "asked" rather than "directed") if I would mind hanging on to meet another Macmillan Radiographer.

A brief aside here. You, like me, might be a bit confused by the difference between a "Radiographer" and a "Macmillan Radiographer". I am still working this out, but it would appear that those funded by the eminent and hugely cash rich Macmillan organisation are distinguished by middle class accents and are perceived to be a bit higher in the technician "heap". My assumption is that they are somehow senior to the people who do the main work, but that might be just the way they see themselves.............. 

I saw nothing wrong with this so changed into my usual attire (I figured that pyjama trousers were probably not appropriate fo this encounter) and settled down to wait. A few minutes later, a woman with a wonderfully modulated middle class accent arrived, introduced herself as H and asked me to accompany her. It struck me that female "Macmillan Radiographers" might be appointed on the basis of their accent.............think Margo from The Good Life. 

(this will make no sense at all to people from outside the UK, so here's a clip to give you the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBogWsfAS50 )

On the way to her office (MRs must be of higher status, they have offices!), WMH apologised that neither WMS nor her sidekick was available. She was a little surprised when I said that was probably a good thing as the relationship between me and WMS had not got off to a good start.

I think that we were both puzzled by the purpose of the meeting: at only 16% (approximately) in to the treatment, it seemed a little early to be disucssing any side effects. She did, however, tell me that they have no clue as to whether the treatment has worked from the daily x-rays; this has to wait for a blood test at the other end of the treatment tunnel. I suppose it gave her 10 minutes out of a hectic schedule of shifting paper and was probably designed to reassure me that people with good accents are keeping an eye on what the workers are doing...........

Probably enough for one entry. With (or without for that matter) your permission, I shall reserve the right to publish random posts over the coming weeks, but will try to keep them as meaningful as possible.

.........and now for something completely different. This band featured at the Glastonbury Festival last weekend; after the boredom of Florence and the Machine, multiple dirges from earnest people with acoustic guitars etc, they were a breath of fresh air. If you like the clip, I would recommend listening to the full set on the BBC iPlayer................


In the words of the younger folk: "way cool"






No comments:

Post a Comment