Monday 19 October 2015

Waiting again

Before I start, a big welcome and thank you to whoever is reading this in Russia. I am constantly amazed at the range of countries that people reading this blog, whether just a mistaken page search or a more in-depth following. At the risk of boring everyone, the countries so far (in order of number of "hits") are:

UK
USA
France
Australia
Russia
Ireland
Turkey
Switzerland
Ukraine
Germany

I have a good idea who the Australians and people from Turkey are, but everyone else is a mystery........and you all seem to be so shy! I have only had a couple of comments and an email since I started over a year ago. Go on, take the plunge and risk getting in touch. I can guarantee that I will not bite.

If you read the last post, you might recall that the vampire service at Medway Hospital relieved me of another few millilitres of blood to find out how my PSA level was getting on. Still no result back, or at least no result that anyone has bothered to tell me about. Even when I do find out thee result, I do not expect it to be a dramatic change as it can take 5 months or so post treatment to find out whether it was successful through the relatively crude method of PSA level. Unfortunately, it can also be 5 or 6 months before any lasting side effects come to the fore.........

So here I am, 2 months after the radiotherapy course finished, still not knowing whether I am "cured" or whether I will have any lifelong effects. This will sound a bit strange, but I am still not sure whether that is stressful or not. I can hear you asking yourself how can someone not know whether they are stressed by the waiting and not knowing? the answer is not quite as simple as it sounds since it relies on what I might call a compartmentalised mind. 

One part of my mind is very focussed on the next challenge; this has effectively come to an end, so no stress there.

The other part would worry about the future if I let it...............stress

Answer? I keep one of the parts in front and concentrate what is left on the "real world". A fun balancing act, but it seems to work.

On a really positive note, I found a pen that I lost ages ago. It sounds like a trivial thing, but it is a fantastic pen and was given to me years ago by a team of people I worked with; it means a lot to me and I was very upset when I lost it

I will be back as soon as I hear anything from the hospital. In the meantime, a couple of songs, one of which is quintessentially English and brought a new word to the language (check out "Jobsworth" in wikipedia). When you listen to the second song, it will not surprise you to hear that he was thrown out of South Africa in the 1960s.............

Jobsworth

Republic Day



No comments:

Post a Comment