Tuesday 14 July 2015

16 down, 21 to go

I know that I picked up on this the last time I wrote, but something seems to have had a huge effect on the number of page views this blog is attracting. I was marvelling at a paltry 49 the other day; yesterday it reached 69 and, as I write, today's page views stand at 18 and rising....... My curiosity is more than piqued!

Graph of Blogger page views

At this point I was tempted to put a song link in again, then thought better of it in case you, dear reader, perceive it as pressure. Having debated the pros and cons with myself for a whole 30 seconds, I realised that if you have ever read any of the other posts you are unlikely to be offended or take things the wrong way, so here it is:

Who are you?

I am no great fan of the band, but this one is worth a look if only for Keith Moon's facial expressions!

Anyway, back to the saga..............

Back to KOC for the daily light cooking with ionising radiation and the "Macmillan Radiographer Review". This is an appalling piece of NHS failure in clarity of expression as it implies someone will be reviewing a Macmillan Radiographer. What they actually mean is that it is a chance for me to meet with someone with whom I can share concerns and reflect on my treatment, in a safe and non-judgemental environment. OK, I made the last bit up, but it sounds like the sort of thing that they might say if pushed.

As with the first review, I was a little concerned that they might throw WMS at me (if you don't get that, you have some catching up to do!). Would I be conciliatory? arrogant? challenging? entirely neutral? By the time I was called I still had not made up my mind.

I was collected by J, one of the few radiographers administering my treatment that I have seen more than twice. He strikes me as a thoroughly decent young man and is always very pleasant. We have even got to the stage of limited small talk as I am loaded onto the machines. On the way through the labyrinth he asked whether I would mind if he attended my review as an observer. Before assenting, I said it depended on who was doing the review...........it turned out that it would be WMS's sidekick G who seems pretty harmless on his own, even if he does seem totally puzzled by someone who questions what is being done to him. J duly joined us and took up a position leaning against a windowsill.

As is usual with NHS staff, G had a computer screen open in front of him which I assume contained my details. No offer was made to share this with me and I did not think to ask to look at it.................I will remember next time. I explained that something was making me extremely tired in the middle of the day and, since the radiotherapy was the only substantial change in my routine, assumed that was the cause particularly given that fatigue is a common side effect of radiotherapy. I followed this with a request that he get someone to prescribe me something to overcome this as it was very disruptive to my work.

"Unusual" was his response.

Although the subjective effect is obvious to me, and all the literature on radiotherapy lists tiredness as a side effect, it is clearly something new to the people at KOC.

"I have never heard of anyone being prescribed anything to overcome fatigue" was the follow-up. He did assure me that he would have a chat with the oncologist and see what he could do, so there is still a tiny bit of hope I suppose.

I gave up, bid him a polite farewell and exited stage left, fortunately not pursued by a bear (time to brush up on your Shakespeare!).

Oh well, so much for the experts. I will see what the generic GP can do when I see him on Friday. 

That's enough self indulgent twaddle for the evening. A bit stuck for a relevant song today, so a bit of a tenuous connection with this one. If the NHS fails to come up with suitable drugs, this may be me in Maidstone town centre on Saturday night...................

Waiting for the man




No comments:

Post a Comment