Wednesday 22 October 2014

An amazing experience!

After a 2 day build up, I can truthfully say that today's visit to Medway Hospital was an amazing experience. Over the last 2+ months a lot of my experiences have been amazing, but "not in a good way, if you see what I mean" to quote a character from W1A.

Today was amazing in several good ways!

If you have been following this blog, you might have picked up that I am probably not the most compliant "patient" from the hospital's point of view and have not been slow in telling both you, and anyone else who cares to listen, what I think. Some has been good-ish, some not too good, and some downright appalling. Clearly, some one, or two, or three at the hospital has been listening...........

If the service I received today is repeated for everyone else using the same facility, perhaps Medway Maritime Hospital has a chance. There remains in the back of my mind though the cynical thought that I have been treated rather better than anyone else for a number of reasons, most of which you will probably have deduced from earlier posts.

If the manager who contacted me is reading this, the answer to "(is) there is anything I can do?" is an emphatic YES. Please reassure me that all people going through the endoscopy suite get treated just as well.



Arrival
I will not bore everyone with the details, but I was greeted properly, each new player introduced themselves properly, I was given proper choices and information, my privacy and dignity were respected............I could go on. The introduction to the unit was exactly what every person who uses the NHS has a right to expect.

On to the trolley
Private space to get changed into the obligatory hospital gown. Provided with a plastic bucket to put my clothes in which was a smaller version of the one my horse has in his stable for water (that did bring a smile). Put bucket on tray at bottom of trolley so it went everywhere with me; good idea!

The main event
Two nurses introduced themselves and wheeled me in. Greeted by the surgeon very cordially (I got on very well with him when we met the other week) . Provided with Entonox and away we went........

I will not give any gory details..........the squeamish amongst you are safe!

Surgeon was using a screen to see what he was doing, so I asked one of the nurses for an extra pillow to prop my head up and watched the show, with a great running commentary from the surgeon. I hope that you never need to have an endoscopy, but if you do it is really quite mind blowing to see yourself from the inside and the patterns of the capillaries are just fantastic; a truly psychedelic experience!

(The Entonox was not really necessary, but I took a few blasts just for the hell of getting mildly stoned courtesy of the NHS!).

Job done. Back to a cubicle, offered tea and toast (refused politely), got dressed. I was just about to leave the cubicle when the surgeon appeared, had a quick chat, shook my hand and took his leave.

Met partner in reception (she reported having been greeted very warmly on arrival), went home. In at 13:30, out by 15:00!

I am at a bit of a loss to understand why their standard sedation method leaves people unable to function for 24 hours and unable to leave the department for hours when they have light, user controlled, sedation available. I have a theory, but perhaps that is for the "collected thoughts" post which is yet to come.

The cynical thoughts I wrote about earlier? I have a feeling that several things might have happened behind the scenes, amongst which are:
  • The "Chaps" (Consultants) had been talking to each other and decided that they would take no chances with this one; he is potential trouble, seems well connected and knows what he is talking about.
  • The manager who contacted me gave some instructions to the unit staff to be on their very best behaviour
That is very likely to be the end of my association with Medway Hospital, at least until a few follow up scans etc next year. I have no doubt that there are a few people heaving sighs of relief, but I really hope that they reflect on this blog and the summary that I will compile for the CQC and Trust Board. In the spirit of sharing I shall, of course, publish it here first.

University College Hospital, London, next stop on the treatment front when the appointment comes through. We shall see whether they provide a contrast...............

Meanwhile, tattoo next Monday. Really quite excited about that.


Now the songs. Bit of a problem today as I had thought that I might be a bit "out of it" while the action was taking place and picked songs appropriate to that. Never mind, they are fun listening, so I offer them anyway, along with one that seemed appropriate-ish to today as it turned out.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment